Friday, September 18, 2009

Pet peeves

We all have them. Those little things people do that just get under our skin. For some hearing one or seeing one of them can just ruin their days. Me, I get a little irritated then move on.

1. Inconsiderate drivers…you know the type. When you are trying to change lanes or merge, these bozos speed up to prevent you from making the move. How about those who pass you on the highway or interstate then cut you off only to exit as soon as they do? There ought to be a law! Tailgaters…. no explanation necessary. People who drive too slow in the left lane. Then there are those who keep turning left across traffic even though the green turn signal has already gone from yellow to red. My husband figures all these folks must brain surgeons rushing to get to their next emergency surgery. Just so you know, Virginia Beach has a BUNCH of brain surgeons.

2. . Incorrect grammar…either spoken or written. Unfortunately, these days, I must turn a deaf ear and blind eye to this one, or I would be going crazy. There is nothing worse than reading an application, letter, report or resume with misspelled words, misplaced or missing punctuation, improper verb tense or pronoun agreement. Some days I wonder if schools even teach grammar any more. I sure hope my spell and grammar check works!

3. Youngsters who don’t say yes ma’am, no ma’am, yes sir and no sir. I have heard that this is a Southern practice, and that our neighbors to the North consider these phrases to be somewhat derogatory and use them sarcastically. All I can say to that is thank goodness I was raised as a proper Southern Belle. There is something to be said for that good old Southern charm and gentility.

4. Northerners who come south to benefit from the lower cost of living and then complain about the slow pace of life or constantly speak of how much better things are where they came from. If you’re not happy go home. We like it the way it is.

5. People who won’t give way when walking toward you on a narrow passage or sidewalk. I can’t tell you how many times I have been nearly knocked over or at least had to veer off a path, because someone walking toward me wouldn’t turn a little or slow down as I did so we both can get by.

6. People who don’t say please and thank you…a forgotten courtesy.

7. Anyone, anywhere who won’t give up a seat, or at least offer to, for an elderly person or someone who definitely needs a seat more than they do.

8. Anyone who breaks in line.

9. Politicians whose only goal is to get re-elected every term. They change their ideals, stances, and even party affiliation as often as I change my sheets.

Anyone ever heard of Arlen Spector? Jim Jeffords? Michael Bloomberg?

10. Any mention of Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Brittany Spears, or Madonna on a newscast.

11. Al Franken.

Most of these are pretty easy to live with, but one of my biggest pet peeves is what I consider the misuse of the words courage and bravery. Someone who stands in front of a crowd to tell jokes or takes on a controversial role in a movie isn’t brave or courageous. These are skills that are honed and perfected over time. A black man giving a speech about dreams of racial equality in front of a crowd of people who would just as soon see him dead because of the color of his skin is courageous. Jumping off a bridge attached to a bungee chord isn’t brave or courageous. It is thrill seeking. Jumping out of an airplane attached to a parachute in the dead of night into a desert full of terrorists with RPG’s, IED’s, and whose sole purpose in life is to kill you; that’s courage. Admitting an addiction isn’t brave or courageous. It is certainly scary, but not courageous. Frankly, in our society it is probably more of a status symbol to have a stint in rehab under your belt…especially for Hollywood types. Standing up to an overbearing boss might be nerve wracking and difficult but not brave or courageous. Standing down a tank to protest the lack of freedom in your society is brave and courageous. Riding a roller coaster, watching a scary movie…not brave or courageous. Seeing a fellow Marine, soldier or other service member killed in action and then recovering his lifeless body while under enemy fire is truly the epitome of courage and bravery. Driving a racecar 200 miles an hour around an oval racetrack… risky behavior certainly, and obviously, it takes nerves of steel, but I do not consider it courageous especially when the pay off for winning is so financially rewarding. Sitting on top of a rocket whose engines are full of highly combustible fuel ready to be launched into space for the first time in history, knowing you could fry on the launch pad or burn up on reentry; definitely courageous.

I could go on, but you get the point. I am sure a dictionary definition would contradict some of my examples. In my mind, though, courage or bravery should be used to describe an act performed that risks one’s life and limb to save another or to advance a cause that betters humanity without expectation of recognition or financial reward. I don’t much care what the dictionary says. This is Tracieland, and what I say goes!

5 comments:

  1. God you're an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I take that back, you're not an idiot, you're just ignorant. And you've made it quite obvious that 'Tracieland' is not located anywhere near the vicinity of the real world. Courage is standing up for what you believe in, and what you think is right, no matter what anyone thinks or says. I may not be out in the war, risking my life and limbs, but i'm brave and courageous. It DOES in fact take courage to stand up to your boss and you DO have to be brave , 95% of people will not stand up to their bosses, even if they know their bosses are in the wrong, because they are afraid to lose their jobs, especially in this economy. And I guess you think you're pretty darn important, but you have no right to say that admitting and addiction doesn't require bravery.

    By the way, get over yourself. Especially where grammar and punctuation is concerned. Sweetheart I know people in high school with better grammar and punctuation than you have. You happened to do a few of your 'pet peeves.'

    I can not stand people like you. And I certainly hope you find the desire to quit blogging soon, because until 'Tracieland' meets up with reality, you won't get anywhere with it.

    have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. And I beg to differ that I don't have a right to say anything that I have said here. Thank goodness our forefathers had the courage to fight and give me the right to say anything I think as long as I don't put anyone in danger or hurt anyone in the process. These are just my thoughts. I respect that you have your opinions. I probably wont quit the blog, but you don't have to read it anymore if you think I am so ignorant. I'm OK with that. You have a good day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My!!! Our first militant desenter! I too have a few pet peeves and they align themselves with 1-10. I agree completely with the exception of number 2, primarily because I may be the bullseye for it. I will work harder to improve in the future. Number 11 has no rationale, so I will not comment on it. I understand your position on courage and bravery. I too was a soldier involved in hostile actions. The USAF sent a detachment to Grenada to set up a mobile Control Tower and mobile Approach Control with the M-16's, but no ammo assuming the Army and Marines would provide security. That was not the case. We later traded alcohol purchased in Barbados for the munitions for the Marines. Believe it or not, this actually happened. Our munitions did not arrive until after hostilities had ended. We once came under fire from hostiles, prior to making these trades. My god, I thought we were done for for sure. From no where, a detachment of Marines appeared to save our asses and man, were we cheering those guys. Semper fi, USMC!!!! We took good care of those guys from then on, that is for sure. Nuff said!

    Every person has courage and bravery, almost every decision you make requires some courage. You carefully weigh the consequences of the decision and then, take a leap of faith. Each person displays bravery when they defend that decision or courage enough to admit it was a mistake and abandon it.

    Now this takes courage. Maybe, Georgiababyland and Tracieland are more alike then they are different. Both exhibit the same periscope view points, and verbalize an unreconcileable positon. You know, my way or the highway perspective. "This is Tracieland, and what I say goes!" I don't know maybe I'm wrong. I hope that this blog will eventually transiton to topics of a public nature that are important to the society at large.

    Thank you, and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete